Golf Fore Africa's Women's Trip to Zambia, May 2015

We are so excited to be going to Zambia with a fantastic group of women! Please follow our travels on this trip blog which we will update daily with fun stories and photos of our adventures.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Day 7 Reflection from Lori- Heart Strings

As I travel this morning to Lusaka's airport, it is hard to put into words all the joy, emotions and love that's been shared during our time here. 
Davison J. Phiri, our driver and Senior transport coordinator of ZWASH/SAR/PMU has told us how his home was built on a "miracle property." As his story unfolded, it was in his prayers that he would give some of this back to God and His work, if he was given the chance to purchase it. And true to his word, "DJ" and his wife Dorothy founded and run Mercy Minitries International & Chifundo Mission School on this property. Hiring amazing people from the communities to which they serve, is the backbone of World Vision's success. "DJ" is just one of many wonderful people who work there. 
Many heartfelt events, stories of success, visions of a better tomorrow have been celebrated. This story, is a love story, about a communal people lifting each other up, of sharing in the joy of the process and in each of us in our own way having our hearts filled with their kindness, warmth, appreciation and joy. 
The celebration that is near and dear to my heart is the dedication of the well I sponsored at Kangombe Village. 
Though I have many strong men in my life and family, because the impact of clean water so greatly effects the lives of women and children, I decided to dedicate my well in honor of my mother, Geraldine Marie Ogren (Renier) and sister, Diane Marie Ogren. 
Arriving in Kangombe Village we were met with songs and dances of welcome, praise and joy. Water board committee members were introduced. Two women shared their stories of what life was like before the bore hole well was in place. They talked of the dangers of fetching water from the stream, holding unbathed children back from school because of lack of water, and a story of diaherra throughout the village and a child dying during transport to a clinic. I couldn't imagine the pain of this caused the family and the village. 


I couldn't help but reflect on my mother and father, and what they must have felt and gone through when they went from Universities and clinics trying to find a cure for my sister Diane. She died of congenital heart complications at 3 months old in 1960. Her heart was in need of repairs that far out weighed the medical knowledge at that time. 
From our gathering place beneath the baobab tree, we all marched together in joyous song to the well site. Baskets of wild flowers were placed at the four corners of the well. A lace veil covered the pump and plaque that had our names on it. It was beautiful! The headsman of the village expressed the importance and his appreciation for the gift of clean water. 


My feelings of gratitude to Betsy King and Debbie Quesada (the founders of Golf Fore Africa) and to World Vision and Kathryn Compton, and all their workers from the community was foremost in my heart. Having this opportunity to give back and be present there this day was possible because of the great work they do. 
To the women of this community I expressed how my mother is like them, finding joy in each day no matter what challenges come her way as she bravely struggles with advanced Parkinson's. And though my sister Diane's heart was not completely formed when she came into this world, I knew her heart was perfect in heaven. I pictured her in heaven playing together with all the other children who had passed on. 
As the women sang songs of thanksgiving in a procession giving gifts from the community, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. It was then that I knew my prayers had been answered, I have always prayed for a sister and today I had many. 
In giving this gift of a well and pump, I felt complete. My soul was full. Water brings life, and a pump pumps water, and every heart pumps life giving blood. We are all connected in so many ways. We are all connected by "heart strings". 
 In reading this may the warm people of the Kangombe village, their appreciation and joy reach right inside your soul. The Zambian people, their songs, their beauty, their joy in thanksgiving, their "richness and love of life" is something I will always cherish.

No comments: