Golf Fore Africa's Women's Trip to Zambia, May 2015

We are so excited to be going to Zambia with a fantastic group of women! Please follow our travels on this trip blog which we will update daily with fun stories and photos of our adventures.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 5 Reflection from Beth - Amazing Grace

My life was transformed today.  Everything I see through my eyes, I see in a different way.  I will not take anything, and I mean anything, in my life for granted ever again.  I have felt joy and happiness that is hard for me to fully express.

Today I met Grace Simba (age 4), my sponsored child through World Vision.

I met her family - her father, Nelson, her mother, Elizabeth, her sisters, Joyce (age 18), Tracy (age 9) and Esther (2 weeks).  Grace was very shy at first.  The ball I brought was a no go.  So I gave her a bright yellow Care Bear.  That was the ticket.  Gr
a​
ce gave me her hand and a flicker of a smile.  Then she ran her hand along my hair, her eyes big and dazzling, as she took in that her sponsor was really there.  From that moment on, we held hands, we 
are eternally ​
connected.  

I sat in a chair outside the family hut and lifted Grace into my lap.  I talked with her parents about their life.  Nelson is a teacher, Elizabeth will go back to school after weaning Esther.  Elizabeth is going to be a teacher as well
​.  

Robin McInnis was with me today. Robin took amazing videos and photographs.  Robin asked if we could see their water source.  We walked to the village bore hole (this is their well).  It was approximately 500 meters away, walking on a deeply rutted trail.  As Grace and I walked together, I asked if I could sing.  She shyly nodded yes.  We had an interpreter from World Vision, Thabita.  I sang and marched to "Oh When the Saints Go Marching In".  Thabita leads her church choir so she harmonized with me.  Then we sang "Jesus Love Me" and "Do Lord".

When we reached the bore hole, Grace showed me how to pump water and let me help her.  Then I carried the bucket of water the 500 meters back to their huts. The members of the family carry a larger bucket of water 3 times per day.  They balance the bucket on their head with no use of hands as they walk.  I put the bucket on my head and water spilled out like it was raining.  I could not let go.  Everyone had a hearty laugh at me.

After walking back, Grace and her family showed me their 3 huts.  One hut was just for cooking, there was a place for the fire with a grate and a chicken was in a nest laying an egg.  I held Esther and Thabita took pictures of all the sisters with me.  I will post those pictures later.  Then we visited the 2 sleeping huts.  The huts are round, made of mud and brick with a thatched roof.  Nelson built the huts himself.  He put a plastic covering between the thatch roof and the beams, not for rain but to keep the loose thatch from falling in the hut.  Joyce and Tracy sleep in a single bed in one hut. In the main hut, Nelson, Elizabeth, Grace and Esther sleep in a bed slightly bigger than a twin bed.

We sat down again outside and Golf Fore Africa had sent a bicycle to be presented to the family.  The look on their faces at the sight of their own bicycle - priceless.  I gave Grace and the family different gifts I had brought them.  Grace's favorite was a small Slinky.  She also loved a music book that had a small keyboard attached.  The book has color coded music to match the keys to teach her piano.  I gave the family 3 Unite-to-Light solar reading lights.  They have no electricity so these will come in handy.  My husband, Bill, sent Nelson a roll of duct tape.  He was very amazed at this present and I'm sure he will find many uses for it just as Bill does.  I gave Nelson a Arizona Diamondback shirt and he immediately put it on.

Grace gave me several drawings she made for me.  She said she wants to become a doctor so I started shaking her hand and calling her Dr. Grace.

Grace sang for me - The Zambian National Anthem.  I could tell she had been practicing.  Fred Mazumba - Kapululwe ADP Manager, picked out the notes of the anthem on the keyboard.  The entire family sang the Anthem again.  It was beautiful.

The final surprise of the day was next.  The family presented me with baskets of fruit and vegetables.  And then - A LIVE CHICKEN!!!!  I have never held A LIVE CHICKEN before but I did and we posed for family pictures.  We took the chicken with us when we left but I'm not sure Air France will let me bring it back to the U.S.A.

Nelson and Elizabeth were so gracious and appreciative, saying thank you over and over as we said goodbye.  Grace and I hugged and kissed each others' cheeks.  As we drove away, I put my hands to my mouth and blew them a kiss.

Tears flowed out of my eyes for a while as I sat and reflected on these precious moments that had just occurred in my life.  As I said before, I Am Transformed.  My soul is refreshed and renewed.  I will take time to comprehend this day but I wanted to share with you right away this amazing special day.  God was present in every way.  

Love, 

Beth Young Moore

See next 2 posts for photos




No comments: